Thursday, August 18, 2011

i´m alive!

Hello! Sorry for my extended absence I stumbled upon Montevenero an eco village, or "hippie commune" as some would call it, 7 kilometers from the Camino.  It was founded some 20 years ago by people, from many nations though mostly German. Many were from the Rainbow Gatherings in Europe, who wanted a place to live in community all year long. I planned on only staying only 1 day and was there for over 3 weeks. The village, built in the ruins of an older village that burned some 40 years ago, is tucked away between two mountains. It´s a quiet village where you may see a horse or donkey walking down the road, and the only sounds are of children playing and the guitars and drums people frequently sit and play. Their are no cars allowed. The only thing that runs on gas is the chainsaws used to cut the wood, though only allowed on the first Tuesday of the month. (Most of the wood is cut my hand)! The only electricity is powered by solar panels. But don´t think they are doing without, there is a bakery, ice cream shop, bar, and variety shop that sells jam, champagne made from roses, and liqour from honey. There is nearly no horizon in Montevenero. On all but one section all you see is the giant mountains you climb down to get there.  You hear the people mention this frequently. Some believe this can leave you closed minded.

 The water for the whole village of about 60 people, in the summer,  flows naturallly from a couple of streams high in the mountains above the village. The people of the village, especially Teddy, have a beautiful relationship with this channel of water. Two times a week Teddy walks the length of the channel and notes the placement of each stone and blade of grass in relation to the flow of the water. It is a precious example of people working with nature, not against it.

 If you wanted dinner you had to go get some firewood out of the woods first. The toilet was outdoors and consisted of a whole that you peed in, and if you pooped you had to cover it with grass, some of which I helped to cut by hand. In exchange for one amazing organic, and almost completely vegan meal a day, I helped in the garden, painted walls with kal, similar to plaster, and helped to clean the water filters in the channel.  I also put myselft through a Spanish boot camp with the help of my American friend Sarah(yes i ran into another American from Oregan!) and Issy from Canada. Meeting them was such a blessing. I read Further Along The Road Less Traveled and Stillness Speaks, both reminded me that I´m a spiritual being on a spiritual journey. The reality that I could die tomorrow or even today has helped me to see the fleeting nature of all the things we hold so dear... how we look, what other people think of us, and protecting our precious egos at all costs! I have started asking for what I need and want. And speaking to people in Spanish without caring what I look like. Since leaving Montevenero I have made so many friends, I make new friends everywhere I go. The walls I have had around me are slowy dissloving with each hug and each hello I give and receive. Four people wanted to take pictures with me after meeting me today. Such a cool thing that my inner happiness is shining through and that in just a moment I´m able to share that with people. Their happiness helps to feed mine as well.

I bought shears a couple of weeks ago and have been cutting hair in exchange for money, food, and internet. I get to cut hair in warm air with beautiful green mountains surrounding me. I enjoy cutting hair again!

I have a little over 200 kilometers until Santiago, about 1/4 of what I started with, and if you couldn´t tell I´m in no hurry to get there. I´m actually more excited to see Finisterre, once believed to be the end of the world, and to see the ocean again. After this I have no idea what I´m doing. I live day to day moment to moment. When I get to Finnisterre I will choose then what to do next.

3 comments:

  1. nikki, i don't even know you really and yet, i'm sooooo proud of you. way to take this opportunity to explore and to become, the person you want to be and who you truly are. santiago is just hype after the long journey, as you know, its not the destination you're after. i cant wait till you get to fisterra, you'll know what to do next when you get there.

    buen camino peregrina! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nikki. We all miss you, so much. This the first chance I have had to check out your blogs. You left us busy girl....Not complaining. Your clients miss you,
    You are a great writer. You could totally construct a book one day, out of all your experiences.I am so happy for you. How amazing.......Take care. Love Cassandra....

    ReplyDelete
  3. CASSANDRA! hi mama! i´m sure you are all taking good care of my clients. tell them i miss them, but i´m doing great here. hell, i´m even a little bored. haven´t felt that in a long time!

    if you want to be crazy and come to spain for a couple weeks let me know! it would be great fun!

    and as always thanks for your support christina, i look forward to connecting with you once i´m back in the states. its funny that we are getting know one another through the internet and the camino. much love!

    ReplyDelete