Saturday, June 18, 2011

Orisson to Ronsevalles 19Kms 1400m.

I arrived in Orisson about 3 hours later. It is a small Hostel set in the side of the mountain with incredible views. I shared a room with Joo from Korea and another man and wife. After showering, I sat down to dinner at one long table. There were people from all over the world sharing food and wine. Maria, a 45 year old  Spanish woman who lives in Switzerland,  sat across from me. She is also doing the walk alone. I love her smile she is very sweet, and helps bridge the gap between the many English speaking pilgrims and Spanish. Lizbeth is beside me, she is doing the walk for the second time with her husband Steve they are form Ireland. Millie is a blond who timed her walked to the minute, minus breaks. Her sassy humor reminds me of my friends back home. Michael from Australia is a thin blond boy in his early 20s from Australia. We were competing for who traveled the farthest. We will all pass each other over the next couple days. They have become like my core family as I continue to make new friends each day.

I wake up to a surreal sunrise over the valley. We all eat a light breakfast of coffee and toast. Everyone is in such a rush and I get caught up in the excitement and feel the need to rush. We will walk over the Pyrenees over 1400m high and walk for over 19 kms. I start off with a rush and walk beside Maria and her friend Miguel. My pace becomes faster than theirs so I walk alone. Soon the sun disappears and a vicious wind and rain storm begin. The road is steep but doable. The wind so intense at times I had to brace myself from being thrown over the side of the mountain. My ears hurt form the sound of it rushing past my ears.  The rain felt like needles piercing my body. My thoughts were if this is the worst it gets I can handle it. I laughed took it slow and steady and sang songs to myself. Eventually the sun came out, and  I was rewarded with views of rolling bright green mountains,  and blue sky's. After about 7 hours I made it to Roncevalles.

No comments:

Post a Comment