Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Letting go Los Arcos 410 miles to Santiago

I walked with Enriqo today. I picked him flowers and we both wore them. He told me in broken spanish to learn italian. I told him to learn english. I have never wanted to speak italian more! I have a 1000 questions to ask him.  We passed the fountain that pours wine instead of water, but it was early and it was closed. Later, I had a great lunch with Mille and Andre from Holand. He has been married for 15 years and the love for his wife pours out of him. Tears came to Mille´s eyes as he told us about her and their dog. I felt very motivated and inspired after we all shared our lesson´s learned so far on the Camino.
If the scenery began as humboldt it has surely began to remind me of Arkansas now. The last couple of days I have  walked through pine forest and miles and miles of farm land, mostly wheat fields. There was even a thunderstorm yesterday. As everyone else ran inside, I ran to the door of the alburgue and watched it rain down big fat drops onto the narrow street. There were old stone buildings high above on each side. I knew there had to be a rainbow. So I walked through the warm rain with cobblestone street under under my feet and found a heavily arched stone bridge. My smile couldn´t be bigger. I stood at the top of it and looked out over the small village, and in the distance I found my rainbow.  My friend from Quebec, who´s been walking since Le Puy, France,  joined me and we talked about how the Camino teaches you to let go. Adios Caminos he called it. You meet people everyday some you walk with for days and then they are gone. You enjoy that person in the moments you have with them without control over when you will see them again. I´m still a little sad when I don´t see some of my favorite people, but then I meet new people walking the same path I am.   Sometimes I am with many, and sometimes I am alone. I am learning to enjoy each of these moments. I tend to want to be around friends when I am alone and when with others I feel there are things I need to do.  Instead I  remember that this is the only moment there is, this is life now. I am quieting my mind to find the answers.

I am letting go of my possesions as well. The last couple of days I have not been able to adjust my pack properly. To cut down on weight I am tearing pages out of my guidbooks as I use them. The hardest so far has been my red travel pillow. I have been struggling with the decision to keep it or not. It had become my little security blanket(kinda like tom hank´s soccor ball lol). but today I leave it and tomorrow my pack will be lighter.

2 comments:

  1. I love you Nikki. Super proud of you. You are an inspiration. No joke, we miss you, but we don't want you to come back until you are ready. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Jsun P.S. My neck need a shavin :)

    ReplyDelete