Friday, July 8, 2011

Hornillos 471 km to Santiago

I woke up on my own after a good nights rest. I had a quiet breakfast. I checked the bed 2 times, I kept having the feeling that I left something. But I didn´t see anything so I slowly climbed the upward rising gravel path and was back onto the infamous Meseta where the golden wheat fields touch the crystal blue sky. I have heard grumblings about how hot and boring the meseta would be. But I like it. 5k down the road there was an Alburgue 100m off the road. I would usually pass it by in favor of one closer to the road, but I decided to go anyways. It was a little piece of heaven. In a place with no shade, it had a garden full of tall trees. On one side there was a rounded stone bench tucked into a small hill and a stream running through the middle of it all. The stream is said to have healing powers, and pilgrims, from long ago to now, soak their broken feet in it. Man I was wishing I had stayed there last night, but I thought  no I needed to walk further than 5ks.

The hospitaleros had left coffee, sugar, and milk out for visitors. I don´t usually drink coffee, but I decided to partake. As I went to leave a donation I realized I had left my money belt 6k back in the town I had slept in. I remembered leaving it under my pillow. It had all my money, my credit card, and my passport in it. But I didn´t freak out I knew it would be there. But now I would stay at this place, and I would have to let go of Mille who planned to walk a few towns ahead that day. This was a gift telling me it was okay to slow down and to be alone. I walked the 6k to get my money belt and 6k back to my little piece of heaven. I got to walk the Meseta 3x that day. The peace and tranquility of it all was much needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment